Thin layers of filo pastry filled with lovely nuts and soaked in sweet syrup. This dessert is very popular Easter festive food in Eastern Mediterranean countries.
Ingredients ( makes 8 )
50g pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped
50g walnuts chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinamon
4 sheets filo pastry, thawed if frozen
2 tablespoons butter melted
For the syrup
juice of half lemon
6-10 cardamon pods crushed
How to make Pistachio Filo
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Mix chopped pistachio ( reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling ) , walnuts, brown sugar and cinamon.
- Brush one sheet of filo with melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 of the nuts mixture. Cut the pastry in half width ways and roll up one half, then twist to make a circle. Seal the joint with melted butter. Place on the baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat step 3 to make 8 circles. Brush the circles with more melted butter.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes.Scatter reserved pistachio.
- While the nests are in the oven, put sugar, lemon juice, cardamon pods and 150ml of water in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Strain the syrup. Set aside.
- As soon as the pastries come out of the oven, pour the warm syrup over the pastries.
- Leave for a few hours until the syrup is absorbed.
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Looking up Liams filmography I was astounded that the sheer number of films he has been in. 135!... Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Id love to send this to one of my American relatives to let them see what they are missing! Join the Discussion..
Netflix or Lightbox?
Both. There are things I watch on both. If I had to choose one I'd pick Netflix, but I'm glad I... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Win Kiwiana Uniquely New Zealand $24.99
This book would be an excellent addition to my personal library. Join the Discussion..
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by The Rock and...
With seven years and growing under their belt; TourismHQ has established and continues to deliver on their extensive wealth of...
- SPRING BREAK FIJI