This is a very simple method of cooking steaks that gets absolutely fantastic results. Next time you cook a steak, don't just fry it in oil, try this. What you get at the end is a steak with miles more flavour, and not dried out on one side which can happen if you're just nuking it in the pan without much thought. Treat your meat well!
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in the pan until it is hot. You want the steak to sizzle as soon as it hits the pan. If it doesn't, that means you're just boiling the meat in oil and too much oil will penetrate the meat, making it greasy. If it doesn't sizzle, just take the steak out and wait a bit longer.
- Seal the steak on one side in the hot oil. Turn the steak over and add the garlic cloves around it to perfume the meat.
- Lay the rosemary sprigs on the steak and add the butter to the pan. Let the butter get nice and hot, then with a metal spoon start spooning up the butter and meat juices and basting the top side of the steak (pouring it over the rosemary to allow the flavour to permeate the meat). Tilt the pan slightly to make it easier for you to spoon up the oil. Careful as you do this, mind. Keep basting.
- Remove the rosemary temporarily with tongs. Turn the steak over, put the rosemary back on and resume basting. The oil should sizzle in a satisfying manner when you pour it on the meat. Numnumnum.
- Continue for as long as you like your meat done. I'm a medium / medium-rare type of guy and like it pink. Remove the steak from the pan and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
I served mine with a garlic mash (so easy, I just grated a clove of garlic, sizzled it in a bit of olive oil and added it to mashed potato with salt and pepper) and some steamed green beans. A really simple, yet totally delicious dinner. For one. Ho hum.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Looking up Liams filmography I was astounded that the sheer number of films he has been in. 135!... Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Id love to send this to one of my American relatives to let them see what they are missing! Join the Discussion..
Netflix or Lightbox?
Both. There are things I watch on both. If I had to choose one I'd pick Netflix, but I'm glad I... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Win Kiwiana Uniquely New Zealand $24.99
This book would be an excellent addition to my personal library. Join the Discussion..
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by The Rock and...
With seven years and growing under their belt; TourismHQ has established and continues to deliver on their extensive wealth of...
- SPRING BREAK FIJI