I can't stress enough how absolutely delicious this is.
The venison needs to be rare or it becomes very tough.
* 1lb venison loin, cut into inch-thick steaks
* 300g shallots, one finely chopped, the rest left whole but peeled
* 250g baby button mushrooms
* 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
* 1/2 bottle red wine
* 100ml good vegetable stock
* Some beurre manié to thicken (equal mixture of plain flour and butter, made into small balls)
1. To make the sauce, first fry the bacon and chopped shallot in a little vegetable oil, in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for 4 or so minutes until the bacon has a little colour.
2. Add the whole shallots and mushrooms and stir well.
3. Turn up the heat and deglaze the pan with the wine and stock. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
4. Strain the sauce through a sieve and reserve the solids. Return the liquid to the pan.
5. At this point, season the steaks well and cook them on a high heat in oil and butter for about 2-3 minutes per side for rare. Remove the steaks and rest well while you finish the sauce.
6. Finish the sauce by whisking in the beurre manié over a medium heat until you reach the desired thickness. It should be glossy and rich but not too thick. At this point, readd the solids to the sauce and heat through.
7. To serve, slice the steaks in half horizontally and layer the meat on the sauce. I served this with mustard mash and seasonal vegetables. Enjoy!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Win a Canadian Club Mini Mal Surfboard on getfrank.co.nz
Walkerville Ontario - Canada Join the Discussion..
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Looking up Liams filmography I was astounded that the sheer number of films he has been in. 135!... Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Id love to send this to one of my American relatives to let them see what they are missing! Join the Discussion..
Netflix or Lightbox?
Both. There are things I watch on both. If I had to choose one I'd pick Netflix, but I'm glad I... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by The Rock and...
With seven years and growing under their belt; TourismHQ has established and continues to deliver on their extensive wealth of...
- SPRING BREAK FIJI