Paired with a glass of your favourite red, these melt-in-your-mouth lamb shanks make a great winter meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
* 4 large French-trimmed lamb shanks
* 1/4 cup plain flour
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 x 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes
* 1 lemon, finely grated rind and 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 6 sprigs fresh thyme
* 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 400g sugar snap peas, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly coat the lamb shanks with flour. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole dish over a medium high heat. Add 2 shanks at a time and cook for 4-5 minutes until well browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Cook the remaining shanks and transfer to plate. Reduce heat to medium.
2. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the tomatoes, lemon rind, lemon juice and white wine to the pan. Stir until well combined. Return the shanks to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the thyme sprigs. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour.
3. Remove the casserole from the oven. Add the beans and stir until well combined. Cover and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
4. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the sugar snap peas and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bright green in colour and just tender. Drain.
5. Season the shanks with salt and pepper, and serve with the sugar snap peas.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Win a Canadian Club Mini Mal Surfboard on getfrank.co.nz
Walkerville Ontario - Canada Join the Discussion..
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Looking up Liams filmography I was astounded that the sheer number of films he has been in. 135!... Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Id love to send this to one of my American relatives to let them see what they are missing! Join the Discussion..
Netflix or Lightbox?
Both. There are things I watch on both. If I had to choose one I'd pick Netflix, but I'm glad I... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Rock Island VANUATU
Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by The Rock and...
With seven years and growing under their belt; TourismHQ has established and continues to deliver on their extensive wealth of...
- SPRING BREAK FIJI