This is a simple and delicious beef stroganoff recipe that will definitely become a favourite in your household. Just quarter of an hour prep and a toss of all the ingredients in your crockpot or slowcooker. Beef Stroganoff or Stroganov is a dish with Russian origins from the mid 19th century. Russians called the sauce smetana (or sour cream) which covers the sauteed beef.
The dish’s name is presumably derived from some member of the large and important Strogaov family, perhaps Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff of ODessa or the displomat Pavel Stroganov.
To make Beef Stroganoff, you will need:
- 600g beef skirt steak (or blade or chuck, ie. the cheaper cuts)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato puree or passata
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 small pottle sour cream
- Fresh parsley, chopped (as garnish)
- Cooked rice and fresh, green beans to serve.
How to make Beef Stroganoff:
Cut the steak across the grain into 1.5cm wide strips and season with salt and pepper. Brown the beef in batches in a dash of oil in a frying pan, transferring each batch to a slow cooker when browned.
In the same pan, fry the onions and garlic until softened. Toss in the mushrooms for a minute then transfer all pan contents on top of the beef in your crock pot.
In a small jug, mix together the tomato paste, beef stock, mustard, paprika and flour and the pour over the steak and vegetables. Cover with the lid.
Slow cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Stir in the sour cream 5 minutes before serving and garnish with parsley. We suggest serving this beef stroganoff over fluffy white rice (or mashed potatoes or pasta). Serves a family of 5.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, cook this beef stroganoff in the oven. Prepare the stroganoff as above, adding an extra cup of beef stock. Cook in a lidded ovenproof dish at 180ºC for 45 minutes. Stir in the sour cream at the end, top with parsley and serve with rice, mash or pasta. Beans and peas are the perfect green accompaniment.
- Brown the meat in small batches, like you would a stir fry. Make sure the pan is hot when you add the meat, so you hear a sizzle.
- Make sure the casserole simmers, not boils, as it cooks. Don’t allow to boil or the result with be chewy meat.
Win a Canadian Club Mini Mal Surfboard on getfrank.co.nz
Walkerville Ontario - Canada Join the Discussion..
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Looking up Liams filmography I was astounded that the sheer number of films he has been in. 135!... Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Id love to send this to one of my American relatives to let them see what they are missing! Join the Discussion..
Netflix or Lightbox?
Both. There are things I watch on both. If I had to choose one I'd pick Netflix, but I'm glad I... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
- SPRING BREAK FIJI - YOUTUBE
- SPRING BREAK FIJI - TIK TOK
New Zealand's ultimate source for whey protein powder, weight loss & protein powder