Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Shane Coleman

Being a qualified Journo, Shane sold his soul to NZ’s Gaming Industry many, many years ago. For almost a decade he's written for varying publications and web sites mostly on Video Gaming and Technology.
He's also put together scripts for TV Commercials, Voice Over’s and such the like and have also orchestrated a Television Gaming Show which ran early to mid 2007.

/img/placeholder.gif?aHR0cDovL2k1OTYucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy90dDQ1L2dldGZyYW5rLzExMjMwOS9VbmNoYXJ0ZWQyLmpwZw==From the intro where you’re dangling from a derailed train which itself is teetering on the edge of a canyon, you’ll know Drake is back.

It’s a storyline that would make great cinema (I don’t doubt that we will see an Uncharted movie at some point), Drake and two other fellow treasure seekers are hired to find an ancient lamp.

Realizing that there is obviously something rather special about this artifact the team decides to double cross their adventure investor. Naturally it doesn’t quite go as planned and while there is some double crossing that goes on its not exactly what Drake was prepared for, as he now sits in a third world jail cell. Oooooh yes, it’s the return of a good ole story, that twists and curves more than your perception after a few Friday night drinks.

It’s a quest to discover lost treasure (again…) from the legendary disappearance of Marco Polo’s 14 ships in 1292AD.

/img/placeholder.gif?aHR0cDovL2k1OTYucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy90dDQ1L2dldGZyYW5rLzExMjMwOS9VbmNoYXJ0ZWQyYi5qcGc=

No one really knows and folk lore does not tell where and what happened to the ships, but after sailing for years from the courts of Kublai Khan in China, he arrived home with only one ship and 18 survivors. Polo kept quiet about what happened and took the events to his grave.

/img/placeholder.gif?aHR0cDovL2k1OTYucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy90dDQ1L2dldGZyYW5rLzExMjMwOS9VbmNoYXJ0ZWQyYS5qcGc=

This sets you up for an exploratory trail through time spanning 700 years to seek the lost city of Shambhala.
What you think is about to happen next, probably is, but most likely is not going to.

Naturally it’s not going to be a walk in the park; you’re up against military might from a private army funded by a ruthless rogue.

Sadly the enemies that you go against in a fire storm of bullets and death are very much cloned, which was a bit of a disappointment in the first one too.

Weapons are also mildly the same as the first Drakes but with the addition of melee combat attacks and the free-flowing ‘Traversal Gunplay’. This allows you to shoot from any position within gameplay, whether you’re running and gunning or hanging from the ledge.

/img/placeholder.gif?aHR0cDovL2k1OTYucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy90dDQ1L2dldGZyYW5rLzExMjMwOS9VbmNoYXJ0ZWQyYy5qcGc=

But the formula that made the new comer, some coined as a Tomb Raider clone, such a hit with us action/adventure gamers, has been bottled and sealed likes your Grannies preserves and spread throughout this second Uncharted title.

Developers Naughty Dog and SCEE have expanded upon it and kept both the fluid flow of gameplay, narrative and personas of the characters in check.

You’ll meet familiar faces and some not so familiar. Trying to ascertain who your ally is is just as punishing as it was in Drakes Fortune. So really expect to trust no one.

Varied environments and landscape, from the usual Jungles through to an explosive scene within a war torn dusty city and more.

Uh yes, getting back to the train from the Intro; most of what you play is actually in past tense, leading up to where you started.

If you’re a PS3 owner have this title on your letter to Santa this Xmas.
One of few games I’ll actually play through to the end.

*****

PS3
Action

Sort by
  • Greg says
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Uncharted a game
    I must have 2 (make my life complete)
  • Chad says
    I haven't traditionally been into the RPG styled game since getting addicted to FPS. However, there have been a couple of games on my wishlist - Assassin's Creed II and this fabulous piece of work. The whole environment in the first Uncharted game was a revelation and the second game promises to be even richer. I'm not saying my life depends on getting this game... but it sure would make the lives of those around me much better!
  • bkom says
    This game looks incredible! I have watched a friend play it and love the adventure/Indiana Jones-ness of it.

Ironically, I had my flat ripped off while I was away in Europe having an adventure and my prized PS2 went missing. I'm upgrading to a PS3 as a self xmas present and would love this game to go with it!
  • bkom says
    ...P.S. Here's me in Egypt to prove it...

• Nos4R2D2 says
    Uncharted 2 is one of many titles to showcase the superior capabilities of the Playstation 3 in the current generation console war.
  • Dean says
    One rainy day last year with nothing to do except play Fifa 09 for the millionth time, I decided to pick up a new game. I wanted a game with a story, action and adventure. I picked up the case for Uncharted, had a quick read and immediately knew this is what I was after. I got playing and I was so impressed with Uncharted and it quickly became my new favourite RPG game on PS3. I finished the game over 2 rainy days and when I was done, the sun was out.

With the summer sun still not consistently here, please Frank, give me some boredom relief as I know Uncharted 2 will!

Cheers
  • Boks says
    Just simply awesome,Laura croft x100 times !!
  • Mark says
    Playing the first Uncharted sold me on the PS3 as a platform, and the first game in a long time that I stuck with until the end. Amazing graphics, animation and storytelling all combined together to make a great atmosphere. I can't wait to give the sequel a try.
  • Cedric says
    Im' dangling from a derailed train waiting to get my hands on this.
  • thochaos says
    This and the first Uncharted (Drakes Fortune) are two must have titles for the PS3. If you don't own a PS3 then really, these games should make you want to get one. Nolan North is awesome as the voice of Nathan Drake, every nuance is just right. The cutscenes really draw you in to the story and as far as the gameplay goes, the action is top notch. The multiplayer aspect just adds an extra layer to an already awesome game. I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Get it.

Want to have your say?

It's quick, easy and 100% free.

Features

Endorsed Events

• SpringBreak FIJI SpringBreak FIJI

Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything

• The Fijian Cup The Fijian Cup

The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...

• Rock Island VANUATU Rock Island VANUATU

Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by The Rock and...

• TourismHQ TourismHQ

With seven years and growing under their belt; TourismHQ has established and continues to deliver on their extensive wealth of...

• SPRING BREAK FIJI