How to make Smokey Potato Leek Soup
4 - 6 pieces of bacon
3 - 4 leeks well washed and chopped
4 - 6 large red potatoes peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic
2 bay leaves leaves from 2 sprigs of thyme
1 /2 cup dry white wine
1 standard box of chicken stock
2 cups water salt and pepper to taste creme fraiche or sour cream to taste
1. In a deep stock pot cook pieces of bacon. When bacon is crispy remove and place on paper towels to drain.
2. You will cook the leeks in the drippings. If you want you can remove some of the oil depending on how much was rendered from the bacon. My bacon wasn't all that fatty so I left what was in the pot.
3. Over medium heat add the leeks. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. De-glaze with white wine
5. Add potatoes, garlic, stock, herbs, salt and pepper
6. Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft
7. If you have an immersion blender you can blend soup at this point to desired thickness
8. I just have a regular blender. In batches place soup in blender, leave cover off and place a towel over opening. Blend until just smooth. I needed to add some water at this point to get the mixture to blend.
9. For an extra smooth soup you can pour blended soup through a sieve. I found my briefly blended soup to have a lovely and smooth texture so I didn't bother.
10. Don't use a Cuisinart for this step as it will make the texture like paste.
** Never try to blend a hot liquid fully covered! The heat will expand, the top will blow off and you will have a HOT mess! Trust me, this can happen as I learned many years ago!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.
Netflix or Lightbox?
Netflix is easily dominating now when you look at all the big name actors/actresses they have on... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Win Kiwiana Uniquely New Zealand $24.99
This book would be an excellent addition to my personal library. Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Love to win this book and be mesmerized by New Zealand's Landscapes. Join the Discussion..
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Liam Neeson is such a good actor so I'm keen Join the Discussion..
Win Keeping your children safe online by John Parsons $34.99
GetFrank is pleased to offer our viewers a chance to win a copy of Keeping your children safe online by John Parsons $34.99.
Win a double pass to Only The Brave
This November, it’s not about what’s standing in front of you. It’s about who’s standing beside you
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Auckland Coffee Festival
Join us as we celebrate our latte lifestyle.
Rock Island FIJI
Jim Beam Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by Jim...