Nici Wickes’ Boneless Lamb Leg stuffed with beetroot & rice pilaf recipe or your next Sunday roast dinner. Stuffing a lamb leg with rice pilaf and beetroot is so easy and makes a gorgeous change from regular roast lamb.
Ingredients (Serves: 4-6)
For the rice pilaf
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 medium beetroot, scrubbed and grated
For the lamb
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb – get your butcher to de-bone this
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup Selaks Reserve Central Otago Pinot Noir
- ½ cup water
How to make Nici Wickes’ Boneless Lamb Leg stuffed with beetroot & rice pilaf
1. First, make the rice stuffing.Wash the rice in a sieve until the water runs clear.
2. In a medium, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter and fry the sliced onions for a few minutes.
3. Add the spices and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until onions are completely soft, then add the grated beetroot and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add the rice then cover with water to 2cm above the level of the rice. Bring to the boil, covered, then stir once. Replace the lid and reduce heat to low and cook for 7-10 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and rest the rice for five minutes, with the lid on, while you prepare the lamb.
6. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
7. For the lamb, combine the ground allspice, crushed garlic, pomegranate molasses and salt and rub over the inside surface of the lamb.
8. Put half of the pilaf inside the leg, tuck the meat around the rice, and tie with string to secure.
9. Place in an oven proof dish, add the wine & water, seal with foil and cook for 1.5 hours.
10. Remove the lamb from the oven and remove the foil. Increase the oven temperature to 200 degrees Celsius.
11. Pack the rest of the rice pilaf into the dish around the lamb and roast for 15 minutes more, or until the lamb is nicely browned.
12. Rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve lamb on flat breads with minted yoghurt and the rice pilaf on the side.
Cocktails, Shots, & Drink Recipes
Drink in style.
Updated daily for your twisted enjoyment...
Check out today's videos, they take up our broadband bandwidth but these Youtube clips are particularly worth it!
NZ Daily Deal Aggregator
Save time - saving money. The best daily deals from around New Zealand pulled together onto one page & updated every 10 minutes.
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Auckland Coffee Festival
Join us as we celebrate our latte lifestyle.