Nici Wickes’ Boneless Lamb Leg stuffed with beetroot & rice pilaf recipe or your next Sunday roast dinner. Stuffing a lamb leg with rice pilaf and beetroot is so easy and makes a gorgeous change from regular roast lamb.
Ingredients (Serves: 4-6)
For the rice pilaf
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 medium beetroot, scrubbed and grated
For the lamb
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb – get your butcher to de-bone this
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup Selaks Reserve Central Otago Pinot Noir
- ½ cup water
How to make Nici Wickes’ Boneless Lamb Leg stuffed with beetroot & rice pilaf
1. First, make the rice stuffing.Wash the rice in a sieve until the water runs clear.
2. In a medium, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter and fry the sliced onions for a few minutes.
3. Add the spices and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until onions are completely soft, then add the grated beetroot and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Add the rice then cover with water to 2cm above the level of the rice. Bring to the boil, covered, then stir once. Replace the lid and reduce heat to low and cook for 7-10 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and rest the rice for five minutes, with the lid on, while you prepare the lamb.
6. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
7. For the lamb, combine the ground allspice, crushed garlic, pomegranate molasses and salt and rub over the inside surface of the lamb.
8. Put half of the pilaf inside the leg, tuck the meat around the rice, and tie with string to secure.
9. Place in an oven proof dish, add the wine & water, seal with foil and cook for 1.5 hours.
10. Remove the lamb from the oven and remove the foil. Increase the oven temperature to 200 degrees Celsius.
11. Pack the rest of the rice pilaf into the dish around the lamb and roast for 15 minutes more, or until the lamb is nicely browned.
12. Rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve lamb on flat breads with minted yoghurt and the rice pilaf on the side.
Netflix or Lightbox?
Netflix is easily dominating now when you look at all the big name actors/actresses they have on... Join the Discussion..
Where do you get your caffeine hit?
Wish they brought back the black V drinks Join the Discussion..
Win Kiwiana Uniquely New Zealand $24.99
This book would be an excellent addition to my personal library. Join the Discussion..
Win New Zealand by Rob Suisted $49.99
Love to win this book and be mesmerized by New Zealand's Landscapes. Join the Discussion..
Win a double pass to THE COMMUTER
Liam Neeson is such a good actor so I'm keen Join the Discussion..
Win Keeping your children safe online by John Parsons $34.99
GetFrank is pleased to offer our viewers a chance to win a copy of Keeping your children safe online by John Parsons $34.99.
Win a double pass to Only The Brave
This November, it’s not about what’s standing in front of you. It’s about who’s standing beside you
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything
The Fijian Cup
The Pacific Touch Rugby festival (Fijian Cup and Kava Cup) is underway on November 2, 2017 and with support from Touch Fiji and...
Auckland Coffee Festival
Join us as we celebrate our latte lifestyle.
Rock Island FIJI
Jim Beam Rock Island is an all inclusive fully immersive travel experience which was brought into the music festival scene by Jim...