I have done this poll a number of times over the years and thought this would be a good opportunity to expand on just the city name. Here are the some of the best beer outlets that make these towns the best.
1. Wellington - what a great selection of beers all within walking distance. The Malthouse with its massive selection of bottled beers and tap beers. Also doing a great selections of craft beer are Bar Edward, D4 (new), Matterhorn, the list goes on, (actually I can't think of all the others right now) There is the bottle shop Regional Wines & Spirits with the largest selection of craft and imported beers in the country, including an ever changing selection of the best craft beer on Fill Your Own flagon. And Wellingtons only brewery (Lion Brown / Wellington Brewing / Shed 22 / Mac's Brewery, what every it's name is today) Mac's Brewery always with something new and innovative on tap. Special mention to Tuatara Brewery ,which is really a Wellington beer brand at heart but is based up the road in Waikanae, but is found all over Wellington and is great beer.
2. Auckland - three good brewpubs Galbraith's Alehouse, Hallertau & the Shakespeare Tavern. A number of beer themed pub chains Belgian Beer Cafe, Cock & Bull, Speight's Alehouse, Mac's BrewBars, and the Monteith's bars. Plus a number of independent bars slowly pushing the craft beer barrow, such as Suite. And home of Epic Brewing Company, with its award winning Epic Pale Ale
3. Christchurch - a couple of great brewpubs Dux de Lux (best beer garden in NZ), The Twisted Hop, also just out of Christchurch is Brew Moon. Also in town Three Boys, Wigram, and Harringtons. Some good beer bars include Zymergy, Pomeroy's and Cook n with Gas.
4. Hamilton - as much as the locals complain about not having enough in the way of good beer, they do have Hamilton Wine Company, a Belgian Beer Cafe and a Cock & Bull. Plus the secret Ruakura Campus Club, with great beers on tap at club prices.
5. Nelson - the hop growing region of New Zealand has a growing number of small breweries, Founders, Lighthouse, Tasman, Bays, Townsend and special mention to The Mussel Inn, not quite Nelson but worth the effort. The greatest thing about the Nelson region are the guys that run Dead Good Beer Events and regularly put on beer festivals.
6. Dunedin - well I needed a number six and the rest of New Zealand is a bit lean apart from one offs in towns with a brewery. Dunedin does have the old Speight's brewery which offers a great tour into a historical New Zealand brewery. And there is the Emerson Brewery as well. Eureka Cafe also offers a selection of craft beer.
What is your favourite New Zealand beer town?
The price of good health? A dozen minutes a day
I like your 'snooze' idea Peter. 12 minutes of exercise? I'd like to know what the exercise is. Join the Discussion..
Interesting... I haven't really paid much attention to my magnesium levels. I might get that... Join the Discussion..
Win Fat Science by Robyn Toomath $29.99
Reading the description has got me hooked... now I have to read the book to find out more! Join the Discussion..
Drink or drive
Particularly with parties that we hold at home, we always make sure there are enough sober drivers... Join the Discussion..
Win A Few Hares to Chase: The life and economics of Bill Phillips $39.99
This sounds like a great book - would love to read it! Join the Discussion..
Win Fat Science by Robyn Toomath $29.99
Fat Science: Why Diets and Exercise Don’t Work – and What Does
Win A Few Hares to Chase: The life and economics of Bill Phillip
GetFrank is pleased to offer our viewers a chance to win a copy of A Few Hares to Chase: The life and economics of Bill Phillips...
WINETOPIA Arrives to Tempt the Tastebuds of Auckland
It’s a wine tasting event like no other WINETOPIA presented by Singapore Airlines – the greatest celebration of New Zealand...
Cibo Parnell - Express Lunch Menu
Delicious Cibo Parnell, ensconced in a once tasty chocolate factory, has for the first time released an Express Menu.
Surrounded by nothing but tranquil water, SpringBreak Fiji brings together the best of everything